“Are You Afraid of the Dark?” is a Canadian horror fantasy-supernatural television series created by D.J. MacHale and Ned Kandel. The show aired on YTV from 1992 to 1996. It told the story of a group of kids who called themselves The Midnight Society. Every week, one of the members would bring a scary story to life to scare the others.
The Midnight Society
The Midnight Society was a group of kids who would gather around a campfire in the woods to tell scary stories. The stories were usually about ghosts, monsters, witches, and other supernatural creatures.
The Midnight Society Members
The Midnight Society had seven core members:
- Gary – The leader of the group. He was the one who usually came up with the ideas for the stories.
- Kiki – She was the only girl in the group. She was very creative and always came up with interesting stories.
- Frank – He was the joker of the group. He liked to make the others laugh, even if it was at his own expense.
- Eric – He was the smartest member of the group. He was always able to figure out the clues in the stories.
- Sam – He was the brave one. He was never afraid to go on adventures, no matter how dangerous they might be.
- David – He was the quietest member of the group. He was always the last to speak, but his opinion was always valued.
- Preston – He was the newest member of the group. He joined midway through the series and brought a new perspective to the stories.
The Scary Stories
The Midnight Society would always come up with new and creative ways to tell their stories. Some of the stories were based on urban legends, while others were completely original. Here are a few of the most memorable stories:
- “The Tale of the Twisted Claw” – This was the first story of the series. It was about a cursed monkey’s paw that granted wishes, but with deadly consequences.
- “The Tale of the Hungry Hounds” – This was a story about a pack of ghost dogs that haunted a family’s home.
- “The Tale of the Silent Servant” – This was a story about a statue that came to life and terrorized a family.
- “The Tale of the Nightly Neighbors” – This was a story about a family that moved into a new house, only to find out that the previous tenants were ghosts.
- “The Tale of the Final Wish” – This was the final story of the series. It was about a genie that granted wishes, but with deadly consequences.
The Legacy of “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”
“Are You Afraid of the Dark?” was a very popular show in the 1990s. It was nominated for several awards and won a Gemini Award for Best Children’s Program in 1994. The show has been credited with helping to launch the careers of several Canadian actors, including Elisha Cuthbert, Ryan Gosling, and Jay Baruchel.
The show has been rebooted twice, once in 1999 and again in 2019. The rebooted series has been praised for its modern take on the classic stories.